Information: This forum has been closed. Details

Character Creation

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Re: Character Creation

Postby ElElectron ID:ElElectr » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 pm

What do you guys think about the in game face customization? Personally i like it, its great how you can choose between sliders and montage. It would be great if you could see your 50% custom head in the customizer though. Would it be possible in the future to allow devs to add custom morphs?

I dont think Body Devs should have to sell 50%,75%,100% versions, the player should get to choose that in an improved UI. Also, what about letting the player choose the weight % of each custom body in they're inventory so they could build up a unique shape?

Would it be possible to have a 50% skin, so the players chosen skin colour would show through? I guess the player could tint the skin colour of a custom skin with the face painting( but that only covers the front of the face so you would get ugly seams).

What sliders do you guys want?

Weight
Tone
scaling apendages(would break anims)

I am not having fun with body editing right now. I would have preferred that AR supplied us with a selection of high quality preset morphs with corresponding cages so that new clothing would work with all of the presets and would have good anim deformations.

So a baseline for each gender then two weigh morphs and two tone morphs.

Right now I am finding it hard to make any changes that result in good deformations around the joints and no penetration problems.

I cant say about the default female avi but the default male is very hard to model clothes around due to the anatomy problems. I have resorted to modelling around my custom avi(which does not have good deformations) then using the SkinWrap modifier to morph the cloth back to the default avi then doing some tweaking. The results(after trial and error evilness) are that it looks as intended on my custom avi but not great on the default(also.. no item descriptions so I cant tell my customers intended usage instructions).

If AR had gone with high quality presets where the player could choose between weight and tone sliders then they could have released the body editor tool for devs who wanted to make non realistic body shapes but retain animations. The dev could then make sets of clothes that fit the new body themselves.

Problem is that AR are kind of stuck with the current system, scraping it now would probably mean putting clothing dev on hold for months.
ElElectron ID:ElElectr

Full Name: ElElectron ID:ElElectr

Postby AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm actually more dismayed about the clothing glitching that keeps occurring with custom bodies than the anatomy issue. As for options, I think the user needs to have as many unique possibilities for their avatar look as possible. It's a little nuts that I can't have a short avatar. Hopefully, over time, the out of the box customization will become more robust. Seriously, a user shouldn't "have" to buy a custom body just to obtain a decent and unique avatar base.
AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Full Name: AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Also considering to give a free control over every aspect of sliders on the body to the final customer will allow also the final customer to "cure" the clothes glitches by themselves eventually to fix in real time their bodies to adapt better to the dressed item , eventually set an option to remind to wear the "custom" editions only when the specific item is worn ....
NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Full Name: NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Customizing bought faces - need reset to defaults

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 am

It would be very good to have a "Reset" button in the Face Customization system that didn't just go back to what you started with when you started that customization session but rather went back to the original defaults.

This is particularly an issue if you're working with a bought face created with < 100% weight. The effect of Face Customization on these is extremely non-intuitive, sometimes bizarre, so it's necessary to commit the changes then look at the composite result outside the Customizer. If it's a mess there isn't any obvious (at least to me) way to get back to the original factory default settings.

I realize this is much more difficult, but if the Face Customizer is actually going to be used for working on bought faces, it needs to show what the face you're currently wearing looks like as you change the sliders. As it is, all this isn't a practical system for customizing bought faces IMHO.
NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Full Name: NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Chat box covers Reset button

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 am

In the Face Customization system if you hit the Reset button, the Chat box pops up to cover it. Hiding the Chat box works, but this seems like a UI bug.
NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Full Name: NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Postby Traveller ID:Travelle » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:27 am

I have to say I agree with comments above about customizability.

Even storebought avatars should be modifiable, although the storebought base couldn't be.
Also the appearance preview has to be a combination of the shape and skin! This system now is really, really disappointing and I'd have left for good had other options not showed up :-(

(...well, at least for awhile I did.)
Traveller ID:Travelle

Full Name: Traveller ID:Travelle

Postby AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

My dream for character creation in any virtual world would be if it had something similar to Aion's character creation, which you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgVehykC3Y
Notice that is a MMORPG. I still wonder why the social virtual worlds aren't as detailed in avatar creation.
AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite

Full Name: AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 am

If not wrong its also on a cryengine base ....

Postby AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 am

From what Google tells me, Aion uses the CryENGINE 1. Blue Mars is on the CryENGINE 2, and I'm guessing anything the Engine 1 version can do the 2 version also can...
Let's just hope those nice guys at Avatar Reality will give us such a detailed character creation screen then. :D
AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite

Full Name: AfroditeOhki ID:Afrodite

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 am

Yeh read my sign lol ....

Previous

Return to General Discussion