Information: This forum has been closed. Details

Character Creation

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Character Creation

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:38 am

I really think that it is time for AR to sit a moment and just focus on remaking Character creation system , My opinion is that we need a new body mesh for male and female that look more like human beeings and not like teens , then as besh with much detail on polys to have a really practical and flexible morphing system that allows any kind of customization but not , and I repeat not in a separate editor available only to developers but to all players .... Players that enter blue mars must be attracted by thte beauty of the character creation system , everyone when creating a profile spends tons of time to customize and refine its own character , it is the most important feature in any mmorpg , I have played and betatested severall of them , even modded shapes and stuff for those , but I can say that what attracts the most people in a virtual world is first of all character creation , second the content inside and third the beauty of landscaping ... now I am a landscaper myself so I am speacking a bit far from my usual field , but I have worked on characters as well and animations too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZF6col ... re=related

So my suggestion is summarized in the following points :

1 new body mesh for female and male more human like resempling , no kid look , much polygon subdivision to add very good morphing.

2 Superdetailed morphing ability with lots of sliders and possibility to create superbeauty characters to strange weird thigns ....

3 All ingame editor

4 allow the cage system to go along also a rigging refinement if needed for clothes or special items that do not fall into any cage category...

5 enable severall layers on skin level to allow tattoes , bronze tanning , scars , wet , dirth layers to use eventually shaders of the person or clothes to enable environmental changes to affect the same player ...

6 some kind of alpha masking to be used to hide parts of the body unneded , in case eventually someone wants to create biomechanical parts or simpley hiding the skin under the clothes ( to avoid definetly clippings) or hairs under hats , feets under shoes etc...

7 Skins can be buyed by the characters and do not need to be tweacked by the players but at lewast some kind f coloring over like tann levels or the like coudl be good ....

8 lightning system that eventually follows the player everywhere ineveryworld that can override the tod shading so to not run the skins if in a specific place with a special tod ....

more suggestions are welcomed ....

I woudl even propose that we all developers unite here and ask for all features we want and eventually even follows the modeling creation of the new mesh eventually we could make ourself provided a specific guideling , but the model shape must be only one one that will fit for every need and every designer , no more other mesh uploads .....
NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Full Name: NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Re: Character Creation

Postby VR Hacks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 am

I absolutely agree.

The very first thing people do when they arrive in their brave new (virtual) world, is to spend some amount of time on character customization. And the more toward "social" (can we say, facebook, anyone), the more character customization people will want. Conversely, the less customizable the avatar, the more alien it will "feel" to blue mars visitors. And the more alien it feels, the less attached they will be. This is psychology 101, folk. While immersion involves what we perceive in various 3D worlds, it also includes how we feel others perceive us... what persona are we putting forward? And our definition of that persona... that avatar we wish to project will vary. Just as our definition of attractive varies. This is *why* character customization is so important. To leave it at the level of non-customization that is present, puts us back in the days of worlds chat. And even that had more choices than we do today. With its flat (and imo, fugly) avatars and all.

Surely, with a system as gorgeous as cryengine, we could provide, at the very least, something as customizable as SL's avatar system, and at best something as gorgeous as APB's avatar system? After all, if you want people to not only visit but to stay, give them something virtually tangible to attach to. Give them something to drool over. A customizable avatar. To do otherwise, you'll be left trying to come up with new draws, while you perpetually fight attrition, and blue mars is relegated to nothing more than a mediocre passing fad, that is, well, pretty to look at but sucks to actually visit. And, frankly speaking? Although blue mars is still in early beta? The "shiny" and the "new" are already wearing off for many people. And, if I recall, in some interview Jim Sink did, retention is about 5%. If you want to increase that, give people customizable avatars. Give them a reason to stay around.
Last edited by ac17481ca735151d8255db43c42d4051 ID:ac17481c on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby VR Hacks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:03 am

Addendum:

The Proteus Effect: How Our Avatar Changes Online Behavior

Social presence — how much you feel connected to an online environment with others — is also impacted by avatar choice. Social presence is enhanced when high-visual realism is matched with high-behavioral realism — in other words, when attractiveness is combined with our expectations of attractiveness.

Avatar Customization Increases Feelings of Presence

For game producers and sponsors, this means that creating more customizable games may make the experience more sympathetically arousing, which may in turn affect the strength of the emotional valence experienced, whether positive, negative, or both. Because arousal has been identified as a key component of game and media enjoyment, this information is useful for those trying to build brands. The findings of this study indicate that offering more customization options in terms of avatars may make games more enjoyable with higher highs and lower lows. It is likely that making these games more physiologically arousing will keep players coming back to play and playing longer, which gives sponsors of advergames with customization options several advantages, mainly a willing audience who will spend more time with their brands.

Free to be me: a survey study on customization with World of Warcraft and City Of Heroes/Villains players (PDF)

One of the core principles of design is: “Know your audience.” In the case of user control options, this can’t be stressed enough. People feel so strongly about various types of customization that failing to provide support for them can greatly decrease their enjoyment of your product. If players’ enjoyment drops enough, they’ll stop playing. Of course, since providing extra features takes resources, knowing their audience can save developers from spending time and money on things their player base may not care about. When considering demographic differences, there are not only gender differences but also cultural differences in wanting to customize. Yee noted that many Asian MMORPGs have pre-defined character appearances while Western MMORPGs give the user the ability to customize many physical features because while using complex character creation tools, Asian gamers get frustrated when more skilled gamers create more attractive characters than theirs (Yee, Deadulus [SIC*] project). Yee further acknowledges that “While this at first appears as if Western gamers care more about their appearances and individualism compared with Asian gamers, the underlying issue is two very different views of egalitarianism”

* Footnote: the grossly misspelled "Deadulus" should be "Daedalus".
VR Hacks

Postby AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 am

I totally agree that avatar customization needs to be much better on the user level. I actually wasn't even interested in APB until I saw all the videos on the the amazing amount of "out of the box" character customization. I even went over to the site to check out the game because of it.

As far as the Blue Mars avatars, the proportions seem a bit off, especially the feet, but you can fix that with morphing. And, it was my understanding that the avatars were finally set in stone.
AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Full Name: AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Postby Markadian ID:Markadia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:15 pm

It's not Avatar Reality's job to make Avatar customization. They are going for Second Life's way of customization: developer-made items to enhance the avatar *for sale*, to generate a working virtual economy. It's never, ever, going to be anything like APB's system as that would ruin the virtual economy for avatar customization. The only part of APB they're copying is the ability to sell completed creations to other avatars for purchase.
Markadian ID:Markadia

Full Name: Markadian ID:Markadia

Postby VR Hacks » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Markadian ID:Markadia wrote:It's not Avatar Reality's job to make Avatar customization. They are going for Second Life's way of customization

No they are not. SL supports slider customization.
VR Hacks

Postby andrei ID:andrei » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:47 am

Aloha,

There are ways to customize purchased avatar bodies, and developers and players can make a good use of it. Uploadable Bodies-for-sale packs are separable to a body per se and a face shapes. So, if you make a body-only shape for sale, player should be able to use the "Face customization" screen to modify the "native" faces.

Another way to make faces half-customizable is sell bodies with faces that have weight less than 100%. The resulting face will be a blend of the "designer" face (say, 50%) and the "native" AR-avatar face, also 50%. The latter can be customized in the "Face Customization" screen, that you can find in the Welcome Area.

I understand that this is not what many people were asking for and I don't want to make you feel that AR are trying to offer you a "cheap" or incomplete solution. However, I believe that exploring these options will give players quite a lot of freedom to tweak bodies they purchased.

The benefit of the above system is that developers are in complete control: how much customization they want to allow for their creations. (Body+face+100% weight) combination will result in a completely unmodifiable body -- what you buy is what you wear. (Body+100% weight) will give players a 100%-customizable face on top of a fixed body... and so on.

Needless to say that you can mix-and-match partial body sets. Head from MOXXI, body from Мако Magellan, skin textures from Estelle Parnal... plenty of choices.

Please come to the QA session on Friday 25, at 3pm HST, we can talk more about that. I think it's in Misty Hollow, need to double-check. See you there!

Andrei
andrei ID:andrei

Full Name: andrei ID:andrei

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 am

The problem here is not that the Developers will have to make the bodies , this isn't appealing at all for a customer , we have to think from the client perspective , and I as client I would like to be able to customize myself the avatar in all ways and forms , honestly I am a landscaper but I see that the most appealing feature of a online game or roleplay game or whatever even close is the ability to create the alter ego that "you" want , to make it look like "you" want , not as someonelse made and so readyto buy and look the same as the other guy that bought the same avatar .... no no ... this is a big no to go and needs to be stopped now sorry I am really against this make all the devs and sale shapes thing ....

Clients must be able to make their shapeforming themselves and only if they arent satisfied or just lazy they will have to go and buy the premade shapes like in seconlife ....

I am strongly urging here to take a stop and relook to this , I think is the main feature must be looked at and its the crucial thing that will make BM different from all rest , actuially all other worlds offer a better customization system with way less potential in the engine , why Has BM stuck to an actual pretechonology era that even SL looks more advanced on this side?

THE NEW AVATAR IS NEEDED

THE NEW CUSTOMIZATION "SLIDERS" OPTIONS FOR EVERY CUSTOMER ( NOT JUST DEVS) IS NEEDED

Then let the devs play around with the new mesh and make their own premade shapes but let the customer play with it for free and be able to create great shape .....
NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Full Name: NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Postby VR Hacks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:44 am

I agree. Avatar attachment will be pertinent for user retention. As it stands now, all avies look alike. Even the one that I purchased, is very close to the original. If you want to attract new users and you want them to hang around? Give them the ability to customize their avies with sliders. Give them a reason to return. People quite naturally attach to avatars that they can customize. If however their avie looks like everyone else? Not so much.

ETA ~ grammar
Last edited by ac17481ca735151d8255db43c42d4051 ID:ac17481c on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
VR Hacks

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:12 am

I agree completely. I thought beta was a two way street: They give us tools, engine, client. We give them feedback. They listen, make some changes. Repeat.

Im not seeing it. What I see is: They give us tools, engine, client. We give them feedback, lots of it. We give them money. We give them more feedback. Silence. We ask questions. Silence. We offer help. Silence. Some of us leave. Silence.

What we will see:

More of us leave. Silence.
Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Full Name: Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Next

Return to General Discussion