Information: This forum has been closed. Details

Rustica

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Re: Rustica

Postby tim ID:tim » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Your level makes me miss the hiking. Well done.
tim ID:tim

Full Name: tim ID:tim

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:07 pm

spent the weekend doing the terrain over again (again) and am experimenting with some muddy roads.

This is a road with an alpha mapped edge, mixed with a dirt material painted on a layer underneath it with a soft edge to blend the alpha road edges and the green-ish rock layer under the road.

I am having trouble with my normal maps showing the highlights and shadows as if they were reversed. I also need to figure out how to do the POM on this. I have occlusion, displacement, color, normal, bump and specular textures for the material, but not sure how the POM works.
Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Full Name: Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Postby NAIMA ID:NAIMA » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 pm

I am not sure it works on alpha textures , anyway the POM need the alpha channel of the normal map to work if I am not wrong ...
NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Full Name: NAIMA ID:NAIMA

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:55 am

Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- wrote:I am having trouble with my normal maps showing the highlights and shadows as if they were reversed. I also need to figure out how to do the POM on this. I have occlusion, displacement, color, normal, bump and specular textures for the material, but not sure how the POM works.

If you export the normal map with the Nvidia Normal Map Filter, you can enter a negative scale value to reverse the highlights. You would start with displacement or bump to create the normal. The scale value also controls the "strength" of the normal map if it's coming out too shallow or too extreme in bumpiness.

Here is my writeup on POM from the Material Editor pages on the dev wiki:

Parallax occlusion mapping - (Shaders = Ar_decal, Illum, Terrain.Layer, Terrainice.Layer) Requires a Normalmap to activate. Uses the alpha channel of the Normalmap as a height map, and displays an apparent depth behind the actual surface location based on that map. From the back of the surface it appears to be a positive height change.

Parallax occlusion mapping Shader Params :

POM Displacement - Adjusts the apparent depth of the bumps from the heightmap. Range 0 to 1. (comment: fairly small values look good, the displacement appears to be in units of the texture size)
Self shadow strength - Adjusts apparent shadows from the bumps in the heightmap. Range 0 to 5.
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Full Name: DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 am

here is some test shots for new tree variations, one live and one dead @ about 1100 polys. I will do lower LoDs for them also. (the ground is only painted with one layer so it is very early)

some morning fog up in the hills

you can see the ivy and moss on the textures for the trunks here, on the right

Postby baknight ID:baknight » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am

Amazing... Reminds me of home!
baknight ID:baknight

Full Name: baknight ID:baknight

Postby tim ID:tim » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah well done. It's testament to what can be done with not very many assets.
I know you're still working on the ground so take this with a grain of salt. It would tie together a lot more if you darken that ground diffuse significantly. Otherwise I've got no suggestions, keep it up.
tim ID:tim

Full Name: tim ID:tim

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Meet my new friends. They come to dine at night. mwuahhahhah.

No swimming please

THIS is the part you dont want to see.

now if I could get it to swim....and bite.

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:31 am

some new forest floor tests, also with new ToD settings. I offer my praises to Tomomichi Kaneko and his Parralax Occlusion Mapping ;)

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 pm

These images are the only two existing examples of one of nature's most dangerous and rare spectacles, a migrating sloth of wild grizzly bears.

Generally solitary or in mated pairs, the grizzly is a formidable opponent when alone. In such large numbers, the grizzly sloth clears the land of anything in its path, both plant and animal. Due to the danger of being in photographic range these animals have never been previously captured during a migration.

PreviousNext

Return to In Development