Information: This forum has been closed. Details

MD600N Helicopter - I Want To Fly It!

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

MD600N Helicopter - I Want To Fly It!

Postby 0ne ID:0ne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello all. I'm 0ne1 from There.com if any of you remember my yachts and boats that I designed.

Well, I have been a 3D modeler for a long time (also a programmer). I am also a helicopter lover. A long time ago I made this low poly MD600N helicopter so I can fly it in the game Battlefield 2. I also tried to get it in the newest Grand Theft Auto IV, but I gave up, I'll try later though when more people figure out how (Rockstar doesn't endorse mods). I also tried my best to get the helicopter in There.com, however There.com had way too many poly restrictions for hover boats, and the MD600N has lots of curves which means higher poly counts.

Now, I want to get the helicopter into Blue Mars....

I am really new to Blue Mars... and I just now got the helicopter into the object editor. This is my first object for Blue Mars. Check it out:

The rear doors are removed on my model, it was so I could have two gunners sitting on the open doors. I want to be able to sit 4 passengers in the back in Blue Mars.

The MD600N is my favorite helicopter, that is why I made it. Here is a video or a real life version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eL_m8Xz_Ss

I'm starting to like Blue Mars, and I want this helicopter to be flyable in the future. I think it would be awesome to fly this helicopter around a detailed tropical island or a city... Getting this helicopter to fly in Blue Mars will be my goal.

I heard there was going to be a vehicle editor coming out soon, and I was wondering when that will be. I was also wondering if there is going to be a default helicopter with helicopter physics and stuff, or would I have to script that my self? I don't know how Blue Mars vehicles are going to work yet. I did find a little bit of info about helicopters in the Developer tutorials, but it was obvious stuff that is the same on most other game engines. I was wondering if Blue Mars already has a helicopter in the game?

Well, I hope this pans out soon before I loose interest. :D

What do you think?
0ne ID:0ne

Full Name: 0ne ID:0ne

Re: MD600N Helicopter - I Want To Fly It!

Postby DavyRocket ID:DavyRock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:53 am

Awesome work as usual 'tu
DavyRocket ID:DavyRock

Full Name: DavyRocket ID:DavyRock

Postby GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:48 am

Nice, a hughes 500 was something I had some interest in building once we get vehicles support. But no need now :).
GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Full Name: GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Postby Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Welcome to the party, One1. From what I can gather, vehicle capability wont be available until 2nd quarter next year, which is a long wait, but one many of us are suffering through. NIce work on the Heli.

I did the first heli capable of carrying six people in SL, a Huey slick with air cav markings, when sculpties first came out. It had working horizon, altimeter, full sounds and particle effects, even played ride of the valkyries, lol. I would love to bring that here.

In the mean time i guess i better finish development of my Vulcan Air Defense System. mwuahahahah. :lol:
Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Full Name: Maxwell-Graf ID:Maxwell-

Postby 0ne ID:0ne » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:15 am

DavyRocket,
Thanks buddy.

GeneticDrift,
Thanks. I like the Hughes 500's too a.k.a MD500, I may also make one, or a MD520N so you don't have to make a tail rotor.... I want to make a CH53 too.

Maxwell-Graf,
Thanks. I'd like to see that huey in SL, sounds awesome. Also...damn, 2nd quarter next year, wow. I might loose interest by then lol.

Oh well... the MD600N makes an ok chair...
:lol:

Postby VR Hacks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:27 am

Very nice. I happen to be working on a hot air balloon vehicle script. Which is somewhat painful, as the aerodynamics are quite different from a copter. But, imo, it is doable.

Btw, and aside, we have a private skype channel for blue mars devs. If you want an invite, feel free to pm me or max w/your skype nym. Just be forwarned, about 90% of the chatter is just that. But there are quite a few gems here and there. That, and the sum of knowledge on that channel is quite decent. Which makes it worthwhile, imo.
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby 0ne ID:0ne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:29 pm

VR Hacks,
Hot air balloon script, nice.

So I have been messing with some scripts, and you are right, making a helicopter script wont be too hard.

I have a question, I might ask it in another forum... Is it possible to control material settings via Lua script? I want to control the opacity of a material ID on an object in the script. Can I, if so, how?

Postby 0ne ID:0ne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:07 pm

I think maybe I found it, but I didn't test it yet..

I think I can use SetMaterialFloat:
http://create.bluemars.com/wiki/index.p ... erialFloat

Ex:
self:SetMaterialFloat(0,0,"glow",self.mtlBodyGlow);

...but instead of "glow" maybe I type "opacity"? I'll have to test it...

**UPDATE**

Nevermind... I can't get the opacity to change. No matter what it only changes the glow. Maybe the sParameter isn't "opacity" or "Opacity".

Does anyone know how to change the opacity of a texture with Lua?

The reason I want to know is because I was trying to make a fancy main rotor startup for the helicopter. The rotors start to spin, and speed up, and I want to slowly change the opacity of rotors to 0. At the same time, I want to change the opacity of another texture on that same rotor which shows the rotors with a motion blur effect. Like Crysis does, and like they suggest in the helicopter section of wiki.

Postby 0ne ID:0ne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Well.... I got it to fly... !

Test flight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhIyEKZUeXo

I still have to change sensitivity and speed. Also, I need to make a stabilizer. The impulses that control the pitch, roll, and yaw push the helicopter and they keep going with momentum, and so all flight actions need equal and opposite actions ( I want to make that auto to make it more stable ). Much like gyros on my remote control helicopters.

The main impulse is the vertical impulse that acts like the rotor blades. Tilting the +Z axis in any direction makes it fly that direction (like a real helicopter). However, as of now you have to tilt the helicopter pretty far to get it to go fast, so I need to fix the way the cyclic works to decrease the "angle of attack", yet still go fast. Instead of tiling the helicopter I will control the tilt of the actual impulse a little.

Then I need to fix the model itself. Add more detail, and yet remove unneeded polys and verts. Change the textures, and add a bump map. Then I need to create LODs and a better collision proxy.... and more.

...but it's flying!

Postby VR Hacks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Yay! Very nice. :-)
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Next

Return to In Development