Information: This forum has been closed. Details

Beach City Renovation Project

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Beach City Renovation Project

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 am

I am starting a new topic here so we can collaborate better on this project. Please post what your plans are for your block, or what your needs are. For example, I would like to add a movie theater, but we do not need 5 movie theaters :-). So simply seeing what other people are doing will lead to a better result in the end.

For reference, the previous discussion was here: http://create.bluemars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2515
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Full Name: DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Re: Beach City Renovation Project

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 am

I don't know what block I will get, or what resources it comes with (data allowance, shops and shelves, etc), so for now I will list things I am interested in doing, and wait till I see what other people want to do to finalize my plans.

* A community/roleplay shop - The purpose of this shop is to help players and developers with common interests to find each other and register for group projects. There are already two roleplay concepts in discussion: one themed after H.P. Lovecraft New England horror stories, the other fantasy/Ultima Online themed. I am willing to donate space in Sandbox City for the
actual roleplay areas, but we need a team to build and run them, hence the shop. Notionally the shop will have "recruiters" there on a schedule to meet with people, and signs linking to a website or forum for people to register and make contact when there are no recruiters there live.

* A movie theater - Similar to the one in Tharsis, but with a better building, chairs, and the ability to change what is playing without a city update (I need help with a script or flowgraph for that). Movie nights seem to be popular, so we should have more of them

I am happy to help other developers if they need things. I'm best at making 3D models, and setting up materials and textures, and have set up two full cities with tenants and shops, and run my own shop, so if you just need technical help with anything like that, please feel free to ask. My email is danielravennest (at) gmail

Postby CoreyEvans ID:CoreyEva » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Just a question, who is going to handle all the block imports and city updates? Does AR have the time to manage some 20+ blocks? Do we even know how much time this is going to take or if a city can support this number of active blocks / shops / shelves? How many updates a week? This could be a full time job to manage.

-C
CoreyEvans ID:CoreyEva

Full Name: CoreyEvans ID:CoreyEva

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:14 pm

CoreyEvans ID:CoreyEva wrote:Just a question, who is going to handle all the block imports and city updates? Does AR have the time to manage some 20+ blocks? Do we even know how much time this is going to take or if a city can support this number of active blocks / shops / shelves? How many updates a week? This could be a full time job to manage.

Quite a good question. Most of the people who signed up for blocks are at least somewhat experienced, so there should not be too much in the way of newbie questions and fixing technical errors, like I have had to do with my tenants. For this many tenants, some kind of update schedule should be made known (weekly, every two weeks, whatever). But there will inevitably be some items that need to be taken care of at the city level, so perhaps they will delegate a "city manager" job to someone. One of those manager jobs would be re-use of assets. It would be inefficient for every block tenant to upload similar models and textures. Better to put those in the common assets to hold down the city file sizes.

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:24 am

Hi everyone,

Email has been sent out to the 21 developers that have shown interest in participating in the Beach City renovation project. Some of you have already responded, but if you are in the list and haven't received an email about the Beach City Blocks, please let me know.
rosh ID:rosh

Full Name: rosh ID:rosh

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:39 am

Partial answer to Corey's question: Soeda-san will be managing the blocks. I had suggested we make a common asset folder for things like sidewalks so that it looks consistent, and we don't duplicate the same items in each block's .b2c file. Rosh and Soeda-san agree that makes sense, as it will keep the overall Beach City file size from getting too big.

To be efficient, first check the general Blue Mars Common.pak and existing \Game\Levels\AR\Common and \Game\Levels\AR\Beach City to see if there is already something you can use,
or modify by changing the .mtl file settings (which uses very little data). If you cannot find what you need, and think it might be something others can use, then we need to work out the mechanics of how to assemble the common folder (where to put it in the file structure, and how to collect and distribute the latest version to everyone). I will be happy to contribute materials/textures/models from my current cities to that folder, such as sidewalk, pavement, concrete, windows, entryways, etc.

Postby Bohny ID:Bohny » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 pm

thank you for all the useful information in one place.
Bohny ID:Bohny

Full Name: Bohny ID:Bohny

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Well I've got block - NR4!

I'm off for a couple of weeks to sunnier climes so nothing will happen there for a bit, but it will be fascinating to see how Beach City develops.
NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Full Name: NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Postby VR Hacks » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Yes, this should be fun! I'm off in teh boonies (NL12). Now I just have to learn the block editor and erm... figure out what i'm gonna do. ^_~

Btw, kudos on the setup guys/gals @ AR. :-)
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Rosh/AR for setting up the blocks :)

So, I think I want to set up a Flash game room. Would that be possible on a block?

Thanks,
Asha
AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Full Name: AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Next

Return to In Development