Information: This forum has been closed. Details

Calling all Devs: Default items for all users

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Calling all Devs: Default items for all users

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm

(Sorry folks,, didn't realize that only AR staff could respond to the thread under "Announcements". Re-posting here...)

EDIT: Please see the "Additional Note" below which clarifies some details about these default item submissions.

Hi everyone,

We are getting very excited as we near the second release of the Blue Mars Mobile app, and to make it even more successful, we have another proposition for your consideration...

In order to give first-time users (that register through the app) more options for clothing, we would like to add more default items to each new user's inventory, in addition to the current stock of hair, shirts, skirts, pants etc. And we would like to send an open invitation to all developers to provide some of these default items: Create a great-looking clothing item that we can distribute as part of our default inventory, and win 10,000BLU! Please see below for details.

WHO:
All Blue Mars developers are welcome to submit items for consideration.

WHAT:
Here are the categories of items we're looking to add to the default inventory:

Hair
    Shirts
    Pants & Skirts
    Tattoos
    Physique (face and body textures)

WHEN:
The deadline to submit items for consideration is Monday, February 28, 2011, 12 noon HST (2:00pm PST, 5:00pm EST, 10:00pm GMT)

WHERE:
Items selected will show up in both the Blue Mars Mobile app and the PC client, as part of the default inventory accessible to all new users/developers.

WHY:
- The immediate incentive: We will pay 10,000 BLU (one-time payment, added to your Developer account) for every item we select to be added to the new user default inventory.
- Secondary benefits: We will add your brand (or company) name to every item that we add to the default inventory, so every new user will see where the item came from, giving your brand built-in exposure.

HOW:
- Upload your item normally from the Developer MyPage, but in the "Description" field, enter this text: #default
- This will indicate to us that you want this item to be considered for the default item inventory.
- Avatar Reality will review the item, and if we decide to add your item to the default inventory, we will notify you and credit 10,000BLU to your Developer account.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Please note that, by submitting your item for consideration to be included in the user default inventory, you are agreeing to the following:

1. You will receive a one-time payment of 10,000 BLU for each item that is chosen to be added to the default inventory. That item will then be distributed to all new and existing users as a default item, with no additional payments to you.
    2. If your item is chosen to be added to the default inventory, please do NOT put the exact same item out for sale in the Blue Mars PC client or Blue Mars Mobile. Items that were not chosen to be added to the default inventory may still be sold in-world as regular items.
    3. If your item is chosen to be added to the default inventory, Avatar Reality reserves the right to use images of the item as shown within the Blue Mars PC or mobile clients, or modify the item data as necessary, for promotional and marketing purposes.

If you have any questions, please reply to this thread. Thanks and we're looking forward to your entries!
rosh ID:rosh

Full Name: rosh ID:rosh

Re: Calling all Devs: Default items for all users

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 pm

What graphics settings correspond to the iOS display? I noted at least one of my items shown in the App Store listing looks different there than on my PC. So if we are to submit items that look good on both PC and iOS, it would help a lot to know.
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Full Name: DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

These guidelines will change as we improve the app's rendering abilities over time, but for now, one word of caution is that semi-transparent objects (i.e. see-through clothing or veil, or lace) don't show up very well on Blue Mars Mobile, so try to avoid using them if possible.

Postby SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 pm

rosh ID:rosh wrote:These guidelines will change as we improve the app's rendering abilities over time, but for now, one word of caution is that semi-transparent objects (i.e. see-through clothing or veil, or lace) don't show up very well on Blue Mars Mobile, so try to avoid using them if possible.

Are you still open for submissions for the default items?
SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree

Full Name: SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:20 pm

SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree wrote:Are you still open for submissions for the default items?

We've finished reviewing all the submissions made before the February 28 deadline, and the creators of selected items will be notified soon.

However, we could still use more entries for things like female clothing and male/female hair (among others), so we will not officially close the submissions just yet. If you have items that you want to be considered as a default item, please go ahead and upload them with the word "#default" in the Description field.

Postby SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 pm

rosh ID:rosh wrote:
SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree wrote:Are you still open for submissions for the default items?

We've finished reviewing all the submissions made before the February 28 deadline, and the creators of selected items will be notified soon.

However, we could still use more entries for things like female clothing and male/female hair (among others), so we will not officially close the submissions just yet. If you have items that you want to be considered as a default item, please go ahead and upload them with the word "#default" in the Description field.

Wonderful! I'll see what I can manage to finish as soon as possible. Thanks for the opportunity.
SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree

Full Name: SMZ-Greenie ID:SMZ-Gree

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Some of you may have seen this already, but here's an announcement we put up regarding item pricing for the iOS shops:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2573

Postby ryanschultz ID:ryanschu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 am

DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:What graphics settings correspond to the iOS display? I noted at least one of my items shown in the App Store listing looks different there than on my PC. So if we are to submit items that look good on both PC and iOS, it would help a lot to know.

I have noticed, for example, that shiny items (gold foil, etc.) do not show up as shiny at all, but closer to grey or even black.
ryanschultz ID:ryanschu

Full Name: ryanschultz ID:ryanschu

Postby ryanschultz ID:ryanschu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 am

rosh ID:rosh wrote:These guidelines will change as we improve the app's rendering abilities over time, but for now, one word of caution is that semi-transparent objects (i.e. see-through clothing or veil, or lace) don't show up very well on Blue Mars Mobile, so try to avoid using them if possible.

Any idea if/when this will improve or be fixed? It makes certain hairstyles look horrible. Notable the men's black spiky haircut from the costume store on the Venezia sim.
ryanschultz ID:ryanschu

Full Name: ryanschultz ID:ryanschu

Return to In Development