Information: This forum has been closed. Details

New Member Questions

Post new member questions or tips here. This is for general information about Blue Mars.

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

New Member Questions

Postby admin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Please let us know how we can help you enjoy Blue Mars.
admin
Site Admin

Full Name: admin

Re: New Member Questions

Postby Magellan ID:Magellan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:28 am

Why not write some documentation of the iOS features?

In particular, tell developers who do not have iOS devices what they can do to get some value out of iOS BM. For example, what is the benefit of having tweets appear over our avatar's head? How are we meant to respond to messages sent by iOS users? What should a PC-based developer do to promote clothing, for instance, to iOS users?
Magellan ID:Magellan

Full Name: Magellan ID:Magellan

Postby JosieBlue ID:JosieBlu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Mako!

This sounds like a good blog article, but here are some replies to your questions.

The benefit of Tweets:
As you know when you tweet a message, the tweet appears over your head in Blue Mars Mobile. Many designers use this to announce their new clothing and to link to their blogs or web pages showing the entire collection they have. You can, of course, wear your designs and call attention to them that way as well.

Did you know that we have a current contest going on the App? Members rated in the top 50 are going to win BLU$ prizes. That should encourage them to dress well, and if they win, they will have shopping BLU$ too!

So how do you get them to find you?
--When you list a new item in your shop or on the phone shop, it will be listed under recent arrivals. That should call attention to your wares.
--When you acquire a new item through any means, and then change your outfit, your avatar will appear in the 'recents' list, again making it easier for you to be seen.
--When you post about your designs in any venue, Facebook, your web page, whereever, if you use a link of this format: http://p.bluemars.com/launchmobile/#username (Insert your name in place of 'username'), it will direct anyone clicking that link to your avatar page in Blue Mars Mobile.
--It's actually very easy for members to find out what's new in your collection on Blue Mars Mobile. You might encourage all of your 'followers' to download BBM (http://bit.ly/bmmob13) and check out your latest fashions there.

How to Reply to Messages from Blue Mars Mobile--Be your friendly, charming self
--Answer whatever questions they may have
--Remember that they don't know you are in the PC client, as far as they know you might be chatting to them on the phone
--Tell them about anything exciting coming up on the App or the PC. Encourage them to attend events where they can meet you.
JosieBlue ID:JosieBlu

Full Name: JosieBlue ID:JosieBlu

Postby Magellan ID:Magellan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks for that. I don't think the documentation should be in a blog article, I think it needs to be treated as reference material; kept in a logical place and kept up to date.

I am currently using my twitter account solely to provide a link over my head to my blog, so I think I am exploiting that feature already. I presume it works, but I have had no opportunity to test it.

I do know of the competition currently running, and announced on the blog:
Not only can you find avatars by checking top-rated, you can also get to the top of the 'Recents' list by buying new outfits and changing often.

Does this mean that buying is mandatory, that you cannot make something of your own and just wear it?
Make yourself more visible, literally, by adding a photo to your app profile.

Yes, but where do I do this?
Notify your twitter followers. Remember, your tweets show up over your head! Use this link to point directly to your avatar: http://p.bluemars.com/launchmobile/#username (Insert your name in place of 'username')

OK. I am thinking of putting this link on my blog. Would 'iOS users click here to see my avatar' be an appropriate caption?
Invite your friends to download Blue Mars Mobile and ask them to vote for you! Go to "Help > Invite a Friend" to send them an invitation email.

I know how to do this, but I invited all my friends to BM about a year ago :)

As to how to reply to messages, I do not mean 'what should I say?', I mean 'where do I say it?' Do I reply to the email or do I need to load Blue Mars and send them a friend request or PM?
You bring up some other questions:

What is it people are voting for when they vote? What is the voting system intended to accomplish? How are the rankings calculated? Is it intended that people vote for themselves (repetitively and competitively)?

The issue is that some of your developers from the old days use PCs only, we do not have any iOS devices, yet so much of the information we get from AR these days assumes we do, and that we know what you are talking about. If I may speak for others for once, I would venture to say that we do not understand the features, the processes or the outcomes being discussed. I get to look at BM briefly about once a month on an iOS device; it's not enough to keep up. The effect is rather alienating. If you are serious about keeping people who do not have iOS devices involved, then I think a different tack is required. If not, that's OK, too. I am happy to concede that BM has gone off in a direction I am not taking; I would just like to be clear that this is what is happening and that the issue is not just a lapse in communication.

Postby JosieBlue ID:JosieBlu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:04 pm

replies for Mako :)

Does this mean that buying is mandatory, that you cannot make something of your own and just wear it?
Anything new you acquire works. This could be something you buy, something you make, or something you are given.

OK. I am thinking of putting this link on my blog. Would 'iOS users click here to see my avatar' be an appropriate caption?
That sounds great to me.

As to how to reply to messages, I do not mean 'what should I say?', I mean 'where do I say it?' Do I reply to the email or do I need to load Blue Mars and send them a friend request or PM?
Reply in their PM window. They will see it next time they log in. Friend request is a good thing too.

What is it people are voting for when they vote? What is the voting system intended to accomplish? How are the rankings calculated? Is it intended that people vote for themselves (repetitively and competitively)?
The exact voting algorithm is a bit secure to help reduce gaming. People may vote for themselves if they wish, but there is a limit to how many times and how often they can do so. I believe the voting is a first step in helping the Blue Mars Mobile members interact with each other, and it has the benefit of drawing attention to fashion and sales.

The issue is that some of your developers from the old days use PCs only, we do not have any iOS devices, yet so much of the information we get from AR these days assumes we do, and that we know what you are talking about. If I may speak for others for once, I would venture to say that we do not understand the features, the processes or the outcomes being discussed. I get to look at BM briefly about once a month on an iOS device; it's not enough to keep up. The effect is rather alienating. If you are serious about keeping people who do not have iOS devices involved, then I think a different tack is required. If not, that's OK, too. I am happy to concede that BM has gone off in a direction I am not taking; I would just like to be clear that this is what is happening and that the issue is not just a lapse in communication.

Thank you for these comments, Mako. We'll do our very best to keep you informed, and we'll keep looking for that effective tack.

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm in the same situation as Mako, I specifically bought this PC in the fall of 2009 to develop for Blue Mars, and an iOS device is not in the cards for me till my Verizon wireless contract renews (and maybe not even then, it depends how much it costs). Therefore I have no way to test things on the iOS.

I do not even know if iPhone/iPad app uses the same avatar models and shaders as the PC. The former could cause cloth/body penetration issues. The latter heavily affects how my items look because I use a lot of the shader features to make things look nice on the PC. Right now I have no idea how my items look on the iPhone. What would be great is if the Cloth Editor had some setting to match the iPhone. Then I could at least get an idea if I need to change things.

Another thing I have no clue about is contacting an iOS user. If I want to send a thank you message to a shopper, can I do that from the PC client? There's just a big lack of info that should be in the wiki about how developers and users can work with the new devices.
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Full Name: DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Postby JosieBlue ID:JosieBlu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:16 am

Daniel,

As for the phone issue, I was in the same situation with my provider. I kept telling them I needed an iPhone till they found the right person who could OK it. But totally understandable if you would rather wait.

I think it's a brilliant idea to have an in-sandbox app previewer, and I'll make sure the tech guys see your request. They can let you know what they have in planning about that. Until then, I'll be happy to show you screenshots of some of your designs. I understand that that is after the fact, but it's what I can do at this time.

I've added some shots of your designs to our set on Flickr. http://bit.ly/bmseebmmob

And sure you can reply to iOS users on the PC. Just send them a PM. I believe that will require them befriending you. You can initiate a friend request from the PC. You can also put a twitter over your head inviting them to befriend you and/or to look at your collection from a website.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Josie

Postby ynaga ID:ynaga » Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Blue Mars Mobile Guides are in the wiki now.
ynaga ID:ynaga

Full Name: ynaga ID:ynaga

Postby Magellan ID:Magellan » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

I have read them all.

Postby coolnet » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

I forgot to ask during the Q & A session and I know how busy Mr Rogers is, if possible if one of the staff could respond I would most apprechiate.

My question is, during the Q and A session I asked about what happened with Cloud Servers with Otoy, and the response was Otoy delayed the released. Now would it be possible to check out Amazon? I hear they have cloud servers of there own. http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ I know it might be a long shot, but if possible. :) I am a Mac OS X user, and even though I have Windows 7 on my bootcamp, the issue is my processor over heats when I use Windows 7 by itself. I was lucky and glad that I was able to make it to the event. I do hope in future that cloud servers will be released so i can go on it more. :)
coolnet

Next

Return to Blue Mars Users