Information: This forum has been closed. Details

We hace a hot air balloon!

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Re: We hace a hot air balloon!

Postby GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Wowza cool how you have modeled in air currents that vary with alt :D . Looks real nice also.
GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Full Name: GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Postby VR Hacks » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Our hot air balloon with particle FX:

You can see which way the wind's blowing by looking at the flame. ^_~
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby VR Hacks » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm

GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD wrote:Wowza cool how you have modeled in air currents that vary with alt :D . Looks real nice also.

Thanks. I wrote a weather system that uses probabilities for showers/thunderstorms, and also creates wind currents at different altitudes. The latter was primarily to support my hot air balloon. Though, it would also come in handy if I get around to setting up a sail boat. For now, my water transportation is a little motorized raft.

The showers/thunderstorms are dependent upon ToD triggers and my ToD is fully configurable & synchronized. In other words, all visitors will be on the same DNA clock. Though, unlike Caledonia, my ToD does not poll the server to sync, so overhead is kept to a minimum. Right now, I have it set to 4 hours for a game day, with a 70/30 ratio (i.e., 70% day, 30% night). Which basically means, night passes much faster than day. From the ambience pov, various ambient sounds (i.e., birds, crickets, etc) as well as animals & insects (i.e., birds, dragonflies, fireflies) will "wake up" so to speak and then "sleep" based upon the ToD.

Oh and. I just deployed my update today, and it passed prelim QA. So, I am in a very good mood. And, hopefully, they'll update everything with the new description & pics that I sent sooner than later. With that baseline out of the way, I can now focus on the primary theme of my city. Which will be built upon the theme of a book I've been working on. So, yes, I am a very happy camper! :-)
VR Hacks

Postby GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:46 am

Weather, nice 1. It makes a big difference I think :). I remember playing legend of zelda Ocarina of time and how awesome it was having some simple stormy weather appear randomly. I have sat in the welcome area and thought it would be cool if it had a weather system.
GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Full Name: GeneticDrift ID:GeneticD

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:01 am

ac17481ca735151d8255db43c42d4051 ID:ac17481c wrote:The showers/thunderstorms are dependent upon ToD triggers and my ToD is fully configurable & synchronized. In other words, all visitors will be on the same DNA clock. Though, unlike Caledonia, my ToD does not poll the server to sync, so overhead is kept to a minimum.

Where did you get the idea that the ToD synch in Caledonia (actually Pavonis) polls some server? I wrote it and can assure you that it doesn't.
NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Full Name: NCARalph ID:NCARalph

Postby VR Hacks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:04 am

NCARalph ID:NCARalph wrote:
ac17481ca735151d8255db43c42d4051 ID:ac17481c wrote:The showers/thunderstorms are dependent upon ToD triggers and my ToD is fully configurable & synchronized. In other words, all visitors will be on the same DNA clock. Though, unlike Caledonia, my ToD does not poll the server to sync, so overhead is kept to a minimum.

Where did you get the idea that the ToD synch in Caledonia (actually Pavonis) polls some server? I wrote it and can assure you that it doesn't.

I stated Caledonia bc that's what James Au reported. No matter. You're right. I'm wrong. It's re-syncing to GMT every few mins (as per your interview w/James Au):
Since each user is on their own client, each is running their own local copy of Blue Mars including Kronos, and it can keep time synchronized by re-syncing every few minutes back to GMT using the client machine's system time.

I'm admittedly not sure why you do that. That is, unless you have evidence that the game clock is that far out of kilter. And the only reason I, personally, can see that occurring is if there's some serious laggage occurring. However, if you're not dealing with an out of kilter game clock, then polling the GMT every few minutes still represents proc overhead.
VR Hacks

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 pm

This seems a classic example of false optimization.

Asking the local client for the time is an exceedingly low overhead operation. Even with Lua overhead it's certainly less than 100 ms and probably closer to 1 ms so the overhead is between .08% and less than .001%, in either case not worth worrying about, as there are almost always much larger code optimization available. Anyway, this has nothing to do with any servers, the time comes from the local client machine's OS, not from the BM servers.

On the other hand, doing the periodic updates ensures that different clients don't drift far apart even if the reason for the error is unknown. The notion that a programmer shouldn't cover error conditions unless they can demonstrate that they exist is not a good strategy for producing robust code.

Postby VR Hacks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 pm

I absolutely agree and I apologize if I've offended.
VR Hacks

Postby NCARalph ID:NCARalph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Me too, sorry for the tone.

Let's be friendly. After all this really is a fun place.

Postby VR Hacks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Yes, it is a fun place. And I agree, friendly is good! These are, after all, exciting times!

Btw, and aside, a few of us devs have a skype group that we hang out in. It's about 90% noise and 10% useful blue mars stuff. Pls feel free to pm me (or Des) if you'd like to be added to that group. If anyone else wants an invite, feel free to pm me as well. :-)
VR Hacks

Previous

Return to Gallery