Information: This forum has been closed. Details

How to Salvage Blue Mars PC: 1. Rebuild the Welcome Area

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Re: How to Salvage Blue Mars PC: 1. Rebuild the Welcome Area

Postby Traveller ID:Travelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I am interested and would like a block...thank you Rosh and all the others!

Now...we need a plan. Perhaps a city manager. After some suggestions I can make a graphic that will show where we want to go in general, but I would highly suggest we keep the place much as it is with it's high quality. No SL hodgepodge. I'd suggest a bit of zoning with a commercial/club district, then some suburbia. I also think some run down areas would be great for the grunge thing.

Open to suggestions...
Traveller ID:Travelle

Full Name: Traveller ID:Travelle

Postby rosh ID:rosh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for your interest in the Beach City revitalization project! I'll be making an official announcement soon, but the Blocks won't be ready until mid next week.

To answer VR's question:
ac17481ca735151d8255db43c42d4051 ID:ac17481c wrote:i'm def interested. i do have a question. how will you handle cases where we might want to include an entity? for example, what if i want to rent a block and put out my rafts?

You can create entities using the Beach City data that is included in the City Developer Sample Data (NOTE: The Dev Toolkit as well as the Sample Data will be updated with our next release, which is slated for early net week, so please wait for that!), and we will incorporate them into Beach City.

Please save your scripts in:
Levels/AR/Common/Scripts/Entities/<YourName>/<YourScript>.lua

Please save your entity files in:
Levels/AR/Common/Entity/<YourName>/<YourScript>.ent

Caveat 1: Since Beach City will now be shared with many devs, please be aware that if your entity or script causes any kind of Lua error, that entity/script will be deleted.
Caveat 2: Please be aware that any entity you create for this project will be distributed publicly as part of the Developer Toolkit.

Thanks!
rosh ID:rosh

Full Name: rosh ID:rosh

Postby VR Hacks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for that info, Rosh. Caveat 1 & 2 are pretty much givens. :-)

/me wanders back to my kinect proof of concept project. ^_~
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby VR Hacks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Traveller ID:Travelle wrote:I would highly suggest we keep the place much as it is with it's high quality. No SL hodgepodge. I'd suggest a bit of zoning with a commercial/club district, then some suburbia. I also think some run down areas would be great for the grunge thing.

Agreed! Esp the bolded!

Btw, and aside, not sure if my rafts would really make the cut. I didn't make them, purchased them from TS and just added the floor, seats, textures & scripted them. Critiques always welcomed.
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby Traveller ID:Travelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Ideas we discussed tonight (DavyR, DaniE, Ilkos, Pierre, JamT):

Make Beach City into;

1) Blade Runner(esque) City. Futurisitic neon skyscrapers meet grunge and urban decay.
2) Modern Miami meets Port Town...snazzy goes to third world in a block or two.

The city will be divided into blocks each dev will work on. We should use a common set of buildings, building parts and materials to make the city consistent yet diverse. This will require planning. I'm more than game to draw up some plans. I think we might be able to meet in SL or Open Sim (sacrilege) to work over a rough model then build it in BM. The key to this build is it seems real even though it's widely varied.

Things needed:
We have to have a dance club with synchronized couples dances
Pubs/bars
Sandwich shop
Nice restaurant
Many shops...enough to outfit an AV in a very short time in a compact area (downtown!)

Development needed:
Couple's dances/dances/animations
Vehicles (cars, planes, trains, subway, tubes)
Animals
Music/DJ control
Weather control

Personally, I really would like to get an atmopheric waterfront out of this, sort of like Boston or San Francisco rather than a warm sunny beach. A bridge with suburbs across it would be great, something to walk over with maybe beaches there...the upscale section of town. The Golf Course could be there.

My desire is to bring roleplayers into this place, but I'd be happy with some nice clubbing and shopping if that is what it ends up being. Anything that brings people in and keeps them is what we are looking for!
:-)

Postby jamt ID:jamt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi! I love the ideas!! Butt( ok my bad), can we take step by step! It is sooo doable, it will be fun! So start at the hotel, open the front steps plz, I feel not sooo hmmm proud to walk up the sides of a grand entrance! Ok sooo, hehehhee omg Mars Rules! dang we all can do this!! And tyvm Josie that hot tub is to much, and the music! yay sis! had a very good evening! love and hugs your jamt :twisted:
jamt ID:jamt

Full Name: jamt ID:jamt

Postby Traveller ID:Travelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Do we have a model of the hotel?

I agree the steps are annoying.

Postby jamt ID:jamt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi! not sure, but (that word again) :) The sand on the beach,we want to curl our toes in it, omg little sand crabs to chase :))! U devs make it so, and omg the marina we discussed, I hope those are easy things, since you all are really busy! lol rafts hmmm what fun! Dang I will stop, ohh heck music! Ok ok ok love jamt :twisted:

Postby andrei ID:andrei » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello all,

Renaissance on Blue Mars, amazing! Hats off to all who donates their time, skills and efforts.

Now, I realize that I might sound as a party-spoiler, but still consider this: strong themes in general areas are risky. I like Blade Runner, but tastes differ and choosing one non-neutral theme as a welcome area will likely deter newcomers who are not too crazy about dark urban hostile settings but prefer open areas, with lots of green.

Plus, adding more content is not going to help mobile branch of BM.

I wonder if anyone feels that social part of Blue Mars should be pushed forward instead. Chat is not enough. Instead, a "Dating Game" of some sort might be at least as addictive as the human need to buy cloth for their avatars. Dating predates clothing by millions of years, it's in genes and hormones. On Blue Mars, "Dating Game" should include gifting, some kind of scoring system, "Best Couple Medal of Honour", with annual award ceremony, with a ticket for two to... whereever on Blue Mars best couples may want to go together. Movies? ;) A better names is needed, of course.

Social activities will help to retain people on Blue Mars PC (at last, they'll have something to do), and perhaps, can be played on a mobile version of BM. Imagine dancing with your partner, who is displayed on iPhone. iPhone has an accelerometer, so waltzing pattern can be recognized and played back. (Please be easy on this little impromptu).

Again, many thanks to all of you.

Andrei
andrei ID:andrei

Full Name: andrei ID:andrei

Postby jamt ID:jamt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Andrei The Man!!! The women will love u! ok lol rofl lmao( thats unlady like) Gottta love it! sit back and watch that reaction to your input!! Even Pierre and Company would be jealous!! :mrgreen: hugs :twisted: jamt

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions