Information: This forum has been closed. Details

How to Salvage Blue Mars PC: 1. Rebuild the Welcome Area

Moderator: Blue Mars Staff

Re: How to Salvage Blue Mars PC: 1. Rebuild the Welcome Area

Postby DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 am

Magellan ID:Magellan wrote:Finally, were all this cooperation, development and speedy implementation possible - why BC? We had every opportunity to do this sort of thing before - it didn't happen. . . . However, to propose such changes for BC is quite a different proposition, as there is a unique cost. BC is one of very few finished and unified cities, and I would not like to see us lose that.

The goal is to make a showcase area, with enough attractions to keep new players around. We need some critical mass of player activity to retain them. If a new player arrives and sees no one else, they tend to leave. If they find 5-10 people around, they are more likely to stay. So the rationale is to contribute to developing one area, rather than continuing each to only make our own separate cities. Previously we had expected the cloud render or a general marketing push for Blue Mars to bring in a critical mass of players, so we were just preparing for that day. Once a player is past the first visit and stays, then they can explore the rest of the cities, but we need them to get past that first visit.

Why Beach City? Most of us seem to want slightly futuristic urban to fit the "Blue Mars 2150 AD" concept, and BC already has some working attractions (golf and bowling), and shops. Some changes proposed are:

* Filling the downtown core with more shops and activities to make it more lively.
* Adding some variety and upgrades to the buildings so it is not 70 copies of the same modules.
* Adding detail to the beach, since it's called Beach City.
* Making a nightlife area that's a bit run down, neon-infested, etc. that contrasts to the sunny, beige shopping area around the hotel.
* Adding a residential area both to showcase the possibilities of homes, and for people to live, thus populating the city more.

We will not get there in one update, but the general ideas of "variations within a theme" and "more stuff to do" are the key. On a personal level, I enjoy working with other people to create something together.

Besides our own little developer community, I would like to reach out to groups like CryMod (the people who do mods for the Crysis games), and the general computer graphics community, and offer an online showcase for their work. Perhaps not in Beach City, but the idea is to expand who knows about and is involved in some way with Blue Mars.
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Full Name: DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa

Postby VR Hacks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 am

Magellan ID:Magellan wrote:BC is one of very few finished and unified cities, and I would not like to see us lose that.

I whole heartedly agree. Though, since AR is the final arbiter, I can't imagine them allowing something that is in stark contrast with its present theme. I could be wrong, but... guess we'll just have to see.
VR Hacks

Full Name: VR Hacks

Postby AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Rosh,

I'd like to participate under the company Candybytes.

-- Asha
AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Full Name: AshasekayiRa ID:Ashaseka

Postby rubenst ID:rubenst » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Rosh,

yo ucan count me in too :D

I like all these ideas and I've still got some time I can share.

Greetings

Ruben
rubenst ID:rubenst

Full Name: rubenst ID:rubenst

Postby jamt ID:jamt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:17 am

Hi! YAY all and High5! :) jamt :twisted:
jamt ID:jamt

Full Name: jamt ID:jamt

Postby MarkB ID:MarkB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 am

Why Beach City? Most of us seem to want slightly futuristic urban to fit the "Blue Mars 2150 AD" concept, and BC already has some working attractions (golf and bowling), and shops.

I'm not involved in designing cities or worlds, so take it for what it's worth. But I don't think any style or theme is going to satisfy more than a handful. And the rest will want to build their own.

So why not build the following:
- A central meeting area, not unlike the current welcome area, that is placed centrally like a hub.
- Have different areas with different styles around it. Each can have a corridor leading up to it, like the spokes of a hub.
- Ideally, the spokes start in the style of the central area and gradually morph into the style of the area you're heading towards.
- Have some teleport points to jump to those areas for people who don't want to walk.

The main challenge will be to agree on the central area and its looks. And on the designation of the different areas to people responsible for its general look and feel. It will probably not work with more than 6 or 8 spokes, so not everyone can have one. People will need to collaborate on the different areas, picking the one closest your own ideas (not unlike cities now). And someone will have to be responsible of uploading the whole thing.

If you want to get away cheaply, you take the current welcome area and place the other areas as big islands around it, with bridges connecting them.

Mark
MarkB ID:MarkB

Full Name: MarkB ID:MarkB

Postby turtlesociety ID:turtleso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:27 am

Add me, as well.

( I'm working on additional comment ! )
turtlesociety ID:turtleso

Full Name: turtlesociety ID:turtleso

Postby VR Hacks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 am

MarkB ID:MarkB wrote:The main challenge will be to agree on the central area and its looks.

Can't say that I see this as an issue. BC is already built, and in its present form, we land in the "downtown" area. So, why change that? Furthermore, I would caution about making it too big. If people have to download hundreds of MB of data, they're not gonna bother. So, imo, think mobile and keep it simple & small. Give people a reason to want to explore other cities (i.e, give them a taste but not the full tamale! lol). All in all, I agree with Daniel. This sb more of a renovation project than a let's expand the city to some monstrosity that no one will want to download. Remember, BC is just supposed to be a stop over. Not the final destination! ^_~
VR Hacks

Postby VR Hacks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:* Filling the downtown core with more shops and activities to make it more lively.

yes
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:* Adding some variety and upgrades to the buildings so it is not 70 copies of the same modules.

no. 70 copies of the same modules = less stuff to have to download = great filler to make the place look complete.
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:* Adding detail to the beach, since it's called Beach City.

maybe. but not too much. we might notice but most people aren't paying that close attention
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:* Making a nightlife area that's a bit run down, neon-infested, etc. that contrasts to the sunny, beige shopping area around the hotel.

maybe... oh! i know! early london, JTR!!! just kidding. lol
DanielRavenNest ID:DanielRa wrote:* Adding a residential area both to showcase the possibilities of homes, and for people to live, thus populating the city more.

no.
VR Hacks

Postby aguigizmo ID:aguigizm » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Hello Everyone!!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have been gone for a bit now and to be honest probably not coming back at all.. Specially now with the changes they are making, e.i focus on "phones."

I don't want to be negative or bring your idea down, but I don't think it will keep or invite new users. Something much more major has to happen here. In fact, if BM would to combined all cities in to one big map (rather than teleporting to cities), I would be considering coming back and even investing, not only for rental but also developing like I originally intended. The place looks always empty, if there was just one big world to explore then we can see that there is actually people in the city, to me that it is inviting to play and meet others.

Well, I do wish all you the best and I will for sure revisit the forums to stay in touch with your guys and I would like to, of course, find out that you are all doing well.

Hugz and lots of blessing to all!! xoxo
aguigizmo ID:aguigizm

Full Name: aguigizmo ID:aguigizm

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions