From Blue Mars Developer Guidebook
return to User Interface
The Friends List provides you with an interface to easily access other users at any time. To add a user as a Friend use the Avatar Right Click Menu when you see their avatar in a city. The Friends list is designed to be the central access point for accessing Chat, Status and Groups.
A friend is someone who has agreed to let you access their Private Messaging with them at any time, whether you can see them or not. This provides a powerful way for you to keep in touch with people you meet in Blue Mars, even if they are in another city or even offline. When you click on a friend in your list you get the following options.
- Send Message - This will open a new Private Message with them.
- Mute - This will prevent them from having any contact with you through Local chat, Interactions, or Private Messaging.
- Unfriend - This will completely remove the user from your friends list as well as removing yourself from their list. After confirming to unfriend, private messaging features will not work with this user. A new friend request must be sent and accepted to add the user back to your friends list.
Groups provide a way to organize your friends. Currently each friend can only be in 1 group at a time. By default users are placed in the Blue Mars group.
- To create a new group left click the Add Group icon on the upper right corner of the Friends List. Enter the name of the new group and left click the Done button.
- To add users to a group simply Left Click drag them onto the desired group in the list.
- To remove a friend from a group, expand the group and click the button displayed when the mouse is over the friend in the list.
- To remove a group, click the button displayed when the mouse is over the group in the list.
Note: The Blue Mars group, and all friends in this group, cannot be removed. Users in the Blue Mars group can only be removed from the friends list by using Unfriend.
To change your chat status you can left click the status drop down box on the bottom of the Friends List.
- available - Means you are online and ready to chat. Your icon will be a green dot on other people's Friends Lists.
- away - Means you are online but are not at the keyboard. Your icon will be a clock on other people's Friends Lists.
- do not disturb - Means you are online but not ready to chat. Your icon will be a red circle with a line through it on other people's Friends Lists.
- invisible - Use this when you are online but wish to appear offline to your friends. Your icon will be a gray on other people's Friends Lists, just as it is when you are logged out.
Return to User Interface