From Blue Mars Developer Guidebook
Geometry & Objects
- A single object cannot have more than 65k vertices, normals, faces, polygons, etc. (65,535 to be exact). bmImport and bmImportCmd can process a larger object, but the resulting file may not be compatible with the Resource Compiler or the City Editor. See this page for more details.
- A single object should not exceed 65 meters in one dimension to avoid collision precision issues; for the same reason, objects should not be thinner than 1 cm in each dimension.
- Only polygonal geometry is supported. NURBS surfaces are not supported.
- Attachable objects such as cloth, hair, or shoes should remain below 5000 triangles
- LOD objects must be named $lod#, where the # is equal to LOD number. The first LOD should be named $lod1.
- LODs can have text appended to the end of their name. For example, $lod1_myObject is easier to identify in a scene with multiple objects that have their own LODs.
- The maximum number of LODs allowed per .cgf is 6.
- Every LOD must be half the poly count of the previous LOD.
- The last LOD should be 300 tris or less.
- Once an LOD has reached 300 tris or less, then LOD creation should stop because the engine will ignore any subsequent LODs.
- For LOD creation with COLLADA DAE, each LOD must be selected and exported together with all meshes that make up the DAE.
- For LOD creation with CryEngine2 Exporter plug-in, each LOD must be "Linked" to a parent object. The parent object should be your main object or a dummy node.
- There is a 16k object limit in the renderer.
- When creating shop or apartment interiors in the Interior Editor (*), you can have up to 3 light sources, regardless of the size of the current shop or apartment.
- When creating shop or apartment interiors in the Interior Editor (*), the maximum number of decorations (the total number of lights and geometry objects) is 100.
- In Shop interiors, the total number of available shelves is limited by the shop size, but can not exceed 250.
(*) Note: the same limits apply when using the Shop Editor, a predecessor of the Interior Editor .
- The maximum number of materials, including all sub-materials, is limited to 31.
- The maximum number of Submaterials for all objects in itemdata.zip is limited to 30.
- 2048x2048 is the largest supported texture size
- 15 Terrain Texture Layers are available
File Size Limits
The following file size limits apply to content or property data uploaded from the Developer MyPage.
NOTE: These limits are subject to change.
- Content (itemdata.zip): 512KB
- .BLD file: 250MB
- NOTE: A warning message will appear for .BLD files 25MB or larger (indicating that your City data size may be too large), but you can still upload them.
- .B2C file: 10MB
- .CTY file: 1GB
- Shop interior: 2MB
- Apartment interior: 2MB